Five individuals, including two teenage suspects, tragically lost their lives following a shooting incident at the Islamic Center of San Diego, California. Authorities are currently investigating the attack as a possible hate crime, as the 17 and 18-year-old perpetrators were found dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds after killing a security guard and two others. The incident also involved an associated shooting nearby, though children from an on-site school were safely evacuated without injury.
Five people, including two teenage suspects, were killed on Monday after gunmen opened fire at the Islamic Center of San Diego in California, United States, in what authorities are investigating as a possible hate crime.
The attackers — aged 17 and 18 — stormed the mosque complex around 11:40am local time, killing a security guard and two other men outside the worship centre before later being found dead inside a vehicle from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
The Islamic Center of San Diego is regarded as the largest mosque in San Diego County.
San Diego Police Chief, Scott Wahl, said the FBI and local law enforcement had opened a hate crime investigation into the attack.
Authorities said the mother of one of the suspects had contacted police about two hours before the shooting, reporting that her son — whom she described as suicidal — had fled with three firearms and her vehicle.
The police said the teenager was accompanied by another youth and both were dressed in camouflage clothing.
Wahl disclosed that officers had already begun searching for the suspects near a shopping mall and the teen’s high school before emergency calls came in about the mosque shooting.
The police chief said investigators recovered a note from the runaway teenager’s home but declined to reveal its contents.
“We have never experienced a tragedy like this before,” the mosque’s imam and director, Taha Hassane, told reporters.
“It is extremely outrageous to target a place of worship,” he added.
Authorities said dozens of officers responded to the “active shooter” alert within minutes. Television footage showed heavily armed tactical officers surrounding the mosque complex while helicopters hovered overhead.
The police confirmed that no officers fired their weapons during the operation.
Investigators also linked the mosque attack to another shooting incident nearby in which a landscaper was shot at but survived, reportedly because his safety helmet may have deflected the bullet.
Children attending the Bright Horizon Academy, the Islamic school located within the mosque complex, were evacuated safely and no students were injured.
The attack occurred days before the Muslim celebration of Eid al-Adha and the annual Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca.
Five individuals, including two teenage suspects, tragically lost their lives following a shooting incident at the Islamic Center of San Diego, California. Authorities are currently investigating the attack as a possible hate crime, as the 17 and 18-year-old perpetrators were found dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds after killing a security guard and two others. The incident also involved an associated shooting nearby, though children from an on-site school were safely evacuated without injury.
Source: saharareporters.com